CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Ms. I have a friend in a rehab center who refuses to work

Customer Question

Hi Ms Wilson. I have a friend in a rehab center who refuses to work with the staff there.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: FLorida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no and it is elder law
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He is 66 yrs. old, a post-polio survivor, had his left leg amputated above knee several years ago. He is totally lazy. will not cooperate and is a real pain to them.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum.

I am very sorry to learn about this situation with your friend. Do you have a specific legal question or issue related to this matter that I can assist you with today?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is 6'8", has left leg removed below knee, post polio syndrome and weighs over 400 pounds. He refuses to cooperate with the staff. Hoards food, refuses to wear any clothes, just totally uncooperative.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is being given insulin because of his blood sugar, but he won't follow their diet plan. Because he is competent, he buys soda, chips, cookies, candy, ete, etc, etc, He uses 6-8 sugars in a cup of coffee. They can do nothing because he is "competent".
How can we get him forced to cooperate and not allow him to purchase all the foods that are causing the diabetes?

Dear Customer,

Again, I am very sorry to learn of this situation. Unfortunately, this is a very difficult matter to deal with.

What you can consider is trying to file what is called a "Conservatorship Petition" to try to show that he is no longer capable of making decisions to care for himself (you would have to show that he is unable to understand the consequences of his behavior) - he is entitled to a trial on the issue, and legal representation.

See: http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-conservatorship.htm

The facility's definition (or interpretation) of "competent" and a courts may differ.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. I thought that was what I needed to do. Thanks for confirming this. Good night.

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service (the series of 5 stars next to the chat window) so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "ForCustomerquot; and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.

Bill