RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Does a crim defendant have the right of access to question

Customer Question

Does a crim defendant have the right of access to question police investigator pre-trial in preparation for his defense?
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 30 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Sometimes, yes, though it is rare. A defendant, usually through their defense attorney, can ascertain statements and other information from individuals that the prosecutor intends to use as witnesses during trial. During the discover process, the prosecutor must provide the names and addresses of the individuals they intend to utilize as witnesses during trial, which gives the defense a clear indicator of who they should interview.

However, a prosecution witness is not under any obligation to speak with a defendant or their lawyer. Under no circumstances should a defendant conduct their own informal interviews or attempt to contact victims of a given crime, which may be viewed as intimidation by a judge.

In some cases, (usually serious felony cases, if at all) a judge may allow a defendant to take a deposition of a witness, though this isn't common.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!