How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1262
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Legal Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Marriage lisc, I am going to a NYC court tomorrow to apply

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Marriage lisc
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am going to a NYC court tomorrow to apply for a marriage lisc. Just like many other people, at a very young age I had gotten married but it ended in a divorce. My current fiancé or family does not know. Will my lisc get processed tomorrow if I don't put how many marriages I've been in previously? Can I amend the lisc on my own?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Meaning the divorce? Divorce has been filed and stamped by the court
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No nothing else
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals and landlord-tenant law. I look forward to helping you today.

At the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you. It is NO EXTRA CHARGE to you but it’s important to me! Thanks!

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. This is for educational purposes only and you are advised to seek your own legal counsel. The attorney herein is licensed in NY only. I’ve also been doing family law for 36 years, which is a long time.

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back asap.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 8 months ago.

I'm a NY lawyer, as you can see, and I also got married in NY. Requirements haven't changed, though, since I got married.

I know you want the truth and you want honesty, so I will give you that.

Unfortunately, you must put prior marriages on the license otherwise it won't go through. You won't be able to amend it on your own.

Here's what's required:

Required Information
Listed below is the information you will need to fill out the Marriage License Application:

  • The application is an affidavit where you and your prospective spouse must list your name; current address; city, state, ZIP code and country; country of birth; date of birth; name and country of birth of your parents; Social Security number; and marital history.
  • When you sign the affidavit, you are making a sworn statement that there are no legal impediments to the marriage.
  • If you were married before, you must list all prior marriages. You must include your previous spouse's full name; the date the divorce decree was granted; and the city, state, and country where the divorce was issued.
  • All divorces, annulments, and dissolutions must be finalized before you apply for a new Marriage License.
  • You may be asked to produce the final divorce decree.
  • If your spouse is deceased, you must provide such spouse's full name and date of death.

So I wish I had better news but you will not be able to avoid answering that. They simply won't issue one for you if you don't give them that information. You'll have to decide what you want to do, and I know it's a tough decision but it's better you know now than when you get to City Hall and are turned away.

Have I answered your question?

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for letting me help you today.

I am more than happy to answer additional questions based on this one if you want. Let me know if you want me to help you find a lawyer in your area. You can come back here any time to ask me a free follow-up question!

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. If you need additional information please let me know. Best of luck to you!

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you, ***** ***** you for allowing me to help you today.

Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

We are not employees of this site, so it's important for us to be rated to get credit for the time we spend here and so we can be paid.

I would rather answer additional questions than be rated negatively by you. I'd like the opportunity to do that as I work very hard to give thorough and accurate answers to my customers here. I pick questions based on the fact that I know I can help. Thanks!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 8 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks and thank you for allowing me to help you.