ProactiveShootr
ProactiveShootr,
30945867

I have recently moved across country from LA to FLA. and

Customer Question

I have recently moved across country from LA to FLA. and inadvertently left a handgun in a lock box in my old apartment. My prior landlady has expressed interest in buying the gun. I contacted my landlady and she expressed interest in purchasing the handgun from me. What is the best way to handle a handgun sale and legally. Thanks so much for your help in this matter.
Expert:  ProactiveShootr replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon.... my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help with your question. Let me do some research and I will get back to you with a response.
Ok, I just double checked the law and it is what I thought it was.... you would both need to appear in person with a California Firearms dealer in order to do the transfer of ownership. Here is the text directly from the California attorney general's website."Can I sell a gun directly to another person (i.e. non-dealer)?"Generally, no. This type of transaction is referred to as a “private party transfer” and must be conducted with both parties, in person, through a fully licensed California firearms dealer. Failure to do so is a violation of California law. The purchaser (and seller if the purchaser is denied), must meet the normal firearm purchase and delivery requirements.Firearms dealers are required to process private party transfers upon request but may charge a fee not to exceed $10 per firearm for conducting the transfer. For example:For a private party transfer involving one or more handguns, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety, and dealer transfer fees, are not to exceed $35.00 for the first handgun and $31.00 for each additional handgun involved in the same transaction.
For private party transfers involving one or more long guns, or a private party transfer involving one handgun, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety, and dealer transfer fees, are not to exceed $35.00. The dealer may charge an additional dealer-service fee of up to $10.00 for each additional firearm.
"Antique firearms," as defined in section 921(a)(16) of Title 18 of the United States Code, and curio or relic rifles/shotguns, defined in section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, that are over 50 years old, are exempt from this requirement. For additional exceptions, refer to Penal Code sections 27850 through 27966.(Pen. Code, § 27545.)I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information just reply back. Otherwise if I have answered your question, please remember to complete a positive rating at the top of your screen now with the Stars. That will close out the question and allow the website to credit me for assisting you today.Thanks!
Jim

Need anything else?