Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Have to go to courthouse now to respond to a summons from a

Customer Question

Have to go to courthouse now to respond to a summons from a debtor. Afterwards, going to a different courthouse to file bankruptcy papers. Do I enter a plea of guilty or not guilty for the summons?
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 30 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Even if the BK is likely to reduce the debt to pennies on the dollar or wipe it away entirely, it is always better to have the debt not be a judgment when going to file the BK. As such, it is best to DENY the debt, and let the matter be set for trial. This way, it is still not a "judgment" (hopefully) when the BK is filed, meaning the creditor is less likely to have his debt "survive" bankruptcy.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 29 days ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!