Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I have a subpoena in my mailbox to be a witness for a state

Customer Question

I have a subpoena in my mailbox to be a witness for a state criminal case in Florida and I do not live in Florida nor can I make the court date due to severe family and mental illness issues with my son. I am the only caregiver at home .I have called the witness line many times and no one has called me back. The court case is Tuesday. My testimony is nothing as I had no contact with the defendant.Should I write a letter to the judge?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: It's not real estate. The court case is in collier county Florida. I live in Franklin county ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: ???
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I received a subpoena in the mail. Read the first paragraph
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The whole first paragraph I typed
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 27 days ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 27 days ago.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Read the first paragrah
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Forget it
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 27 days ago.

If that is the only question you have, the answer is "no". People aren't supposed to contact the judge directly about anything to do with a case. It's called an ex parte communication and it is expressly against the judge's code.

If you have additional questions please ask them in this thread.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 27 days ago.

Your initial paragraph wasn't showing on my screen when I asked about your question.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 27 days ago.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.