Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Well i bought a car a month ago and the dealer told me that

Customer Question

Well i bought a car a month ago and the dealer told me that i was going to get the title in a week but like i said its been a month and i spoke to him yesterday and he claims that they wont give him the title because hes going bankrupt. What should i do ?
JA: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?
Customer: I live in rhode island but i bought the car in new Hampshire
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He said he filed for bankrupt
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats all
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If he sold you the car before he filed BK, then the BK won't affect the sale since it was completed and you are the equitable, if not legal title owner, of the car. The problem is that if he does actually file BK, then you are going to have to get an attorney involved to contact the BK trustee to get them to actually issue the title paperwork if the vehicle is still in the dealer's name.

.

It might be a good idea to talk to a local attorney right now to see if he could send the dealer a letter threatening to sue him personally and file a criminal complaint for fraud if he doesn't send you the title.

.

If he has filed bankruptcy, the attorney can look that up and find out who the trustee is, present your purchase paperwork, and get the trustee to issue the title or contact the DMV to do so.

.

.

thanks