CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Is it illegal to copy a client's government issued

Customer Question

Is it illegal to copy a client's government issued identification at a bank in the state of California? or just in the state of California?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

There is no law that would prohibit the bank from doing this (or any other business) - many banks and other institutions (employers, landlords, etc.) will require copies of photo identification as a means of loss prevention.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just needed that one questioned answered. Just want to confirm your response to my question, is definite, without a doubt. Is there a rule or regulation I can refer too?

No, I cannot reference a rule or statute to prove a negative. I am sorry.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if someone says it is illegal, I can say with complete assurance that it is not illegal? Because there is no reference it is a law, rule or regulation? please confirm. Thank you.

Dear Customer,

If you are asking me to confirm that a bank can photocopy your ID - yes, I can do that.

If you are asking me to confirm a very broad statement that unless an act is specifically prohibited by a code or statute, it is legal, I cannot do that, the way our legal system works is a little too complex for me to make that type of overly broad statement (only one part of this answer is because we live in a "Common Law" jurisdiction as opposed to a statutory law (such as Louisiana's civil law, and most of Europe)).