LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

My friends send some Cannabis through the mail and this

Customer Question

Hi yes my friends send some Cannabis through the mail and this package was seized by law enforcement in a legal state is it still a federal offense
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Californian
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She did not use her real name they
Could only be tied by the video in the post office
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your friend's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, the fact that it was placed in the stream of mail handled by the USPS means that it is a federal offense and will be prosecuted by the federal authorities. The fact that it was found and confiscated in a state where cannabis is legal means nothing in terms of the federal law and whether it is a crime or not. It is still a federal crime.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug