Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

We are about to fly to Colorado on Thursday for a vacation

Customer Question

We are about to fly to Colorado on Thursday for a vacation in Rocky Mountain National Park. The house we rented is at 8,500 feet. I have emphysema and have purchsed 2 cannisters of oxygen for use as needed. CCan I pack them in my checked luggage? Carry-on luggage? I am a TSA Pre.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 24 days ago.

Hi Steve. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

You can fly with certain POC devices, but not with actual oxygen tanks, neither checked in nor carry-on, per FAA regulations. You can pre-arrange with your airline and they will provide oxygen for you to use in-flight. You can travel with empty canisters and have them filled at your destination, but full tanks may not be taken onboard a commercial flight.

Expert:  Loren replied 24 days ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 24 days ago.

If you have further questions about this, please do not hesitate to ask. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.