Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I'm scheduled for jury duty in orange county florida. I'm

Customer Question

I'm scheduled for jury duty in orange county florida. I'm not comfortable with a crowded room or making a judgment.What is the penalty for not showing? They have already told me to see a doctor, but the soonest appointment is near the date of the time to appear.If I could just pay a fine I would be soooo happy.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 28 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

If you are a juror, then the penalty for not showing up when being called for jury duty is being found in contempt of court, punishable by fine and/or incarceration pursuant to California Code of Civil Procedure Section 209. This normally means a few hours in jail to scare you and/or a fine, or a threat thereof. If you have a specific psychological condition making it very hard for you to serve, then someone in your situation wants to get a letter from your psychologist/psychiatrist ASAP even if the appointment is near the date of the time to appear, and they can send a LETTER to the Court the same day in many cases, which confirms that you are unable to serve and typically, you would not have to show (or show just to produce the letter).

The problem is that contempt of court may mean not only a fine, but also jail time and then you'd still have to serve, so this does need to be taken care of. The appointment with a doctor does seem to be the solution, however. They CAN send that letter after seeing you even once.

If you are the Defendant, then not showing up for trial means the Court will issue a warrant for your arrest, and the authorities may arrest you to bring you back to court to stand trial.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 26 days ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!