Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a question, me name is Sheldon, no, i got a cashier

Customer Question

I have a question
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: me name is Shel***** *****
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i got a cashier check in the mail for a item i was selling online i did not know the check was no good my back went and called the other bank to see if the check was real they said yes today i called the nack and they said the chck was fraud
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under the law, you are liable to your bank for the amount of the check if it was fraud and your recourse is against the person who provided you the check. Even though the bank told you initially the check was good, if it ultimately was a bad check, you would be liable for reimbursing the bank.
If the check was a forgery you need to take the check and send it to the police where he is located and file a complaint for forgery and issuing a fraudulent check and theft by fraud and pursue criminal charges against the person.
You can also file a civil suit against them for the money damages you incurred because of the fraudulent check. You would have to file suit where he is located.