Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

My wife and I borrowed $30,000 from her mother in 1994 to

Customer Question

My wife and I borrowed $30,000 from her mother in 1994 to purchase a house and set up payments with 4% interest to repay. The check was made out to Fred or Andrea, and Andrea used it to but a house while I was working out of state. Andrea made payment to her mother every month. 1999 Andrea asked for a divorce, which I granted her and she requested that I purchase her a mobile home in the same park her mom had move to. The divorce agreement was that I would by her a mobile home for her interest in the home she bought for us to live in. She also gave up her rights to accepting her share of my Social Security at retirement. Her mother passed a few years back, guessing 2003. Now Andrea has sent me certified letter to notify me that overdue sum $6,987.38 is due to her the survivor of Marion Smith. I have no knowledge of any of the payments she paid here mother. Andrea never worked will we were married 19 ½ years and the Mobile I purchased for her at $124,000, ended costing me $256,000 on the line of credit I set up at the bank to get it for her. I had to use $90,000 dollars from My family inherance to pay off her mobile. Am i required to pay her without knowing anything about this for 16 years?
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 29 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

1) Was payment on the loan to your ex-mother in law actually being made? Before and after divorce?

2) Who paid on the loan after the divorce? Did the divorce state who was to pay the loan amount back?

3) When was the last payment made on the loan? By whom?

4) What state is this in?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Ely replied 27 days ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!