Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

We are moving from Pennsylvania to Kansas within the next

Customer Question

We are moving from Pennsylvania to Kansas within the next month. My will was written up here in Pennsylvania. Will it still be "good" in Kansas?? Or will lI need to get a new one in Kansas??
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: My will was written up in Pennsylvania and we are moving to Kansas.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. Please allow me a moment to answer your question

Sorry for the delay

The will itself, will be valid, as long as it was properly executed in PA. However, there may be differences in the new state's laws that may make certain provisions of the will invalid. If that happpens, the wishes of the parties could be effected and not carried out, so it is best once the relocation takes place, to simply meet with an attorney licensed in Kansas and have them 1) look over the specific provisions of the will, to make sure there is no issue with carrying those out and 2) making sure the person named in the will as the executor, is still able to. I say this because if it comes time for the matter to go through the court, you want and need to make sure the named executor is willing to go to Kansas to make this happen.