Taylor
Taylor, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
87350578

My husband passed away 7/1/16. am I responsible for medical

Customer Question

my husband passed away 7/1/16. am I responsible for medical bills not covered by ins. I live in IL.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes, his death cert. has been sen weeks ago to all interested parties.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the cost if I choose to pursue
Expert:  Taylor replied 2 months ago.

hi my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help!

Expert:  Taylor replied 2 months ago.

More often than not Hospitals will forgive the debts of a person who is deceased. Usually a phone call to the hospitals Social worker will usually do the trick. As I said, in MOST cases the debt is forgiven. Hospitals, predominantly the Doctors on the board of the hospitals took a Hippocratic Oath in that oath they promise to care for the sick regardless of ability to pay.

Therefore, hospitals tend to be forgiving in cases of deceased debtors they realize that the grief alone that is being faced by the spouse/family is enough to handle and in today's medicine hospitals are well funded in most area's of the USA. So give a call the worst they will say is no. We have all heard that word in our lives & it hasn't killed anyone. More likely than not though they will forgive the debt. I hope this gives you some comfort/help. God be with you & yours.

Expert:  Taylor replied 2 months ago.

does that adequately answer your question? if a phone call to the social worker doesnt work i would recommend writing the social worker and/or writing the head of the hospital. this debt is forgiven most of the time. if you are satisfied with my answer i would greatly appreciate a positive rating!