Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Does a psychiatrist have to prescribe medications until the

Customer Question

Does a psychiatrist have to prescribe medications until the patient, after they've been fired by the physician, until they find a new psychiatrist? What is the exact law code in Tennessee for this? For example, TCA. 34 (IA)
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 26 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unless the patient is in a life threatening emergency, the doctor does not have to continue to prescribe for the patient they terminate. If the patient needs more medications before they find a new doctor who will take them, then they need to go to the local hospital or emergency room. Actually, there is no TN code saying they have to write the prescriptions and there is no TN code saying he does not have to write prescriptions. He is no longer your doctor once he terminates you, so he does not have to write prescriptions for anyone not his/her patient.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Can he cancel prescriptions he has already written?
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
It's Lamictal. My mother cannot function without Lamictal.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
if the doctor takes away her prescription of Lamictal, even if the patient is in danger of having suicidal and/or homicidal ideations without Lamictal, what then?
Thank you for your reply.
He cannot cancel a prescription that has been filled already, but he can cancel any refills if he chooses. You need to get her to another doctor before she runs out or to the emergency room if you cannot get her another doctor, those are your only two options.