How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 114749
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a car is parked in a friends garage for years and the car

Customer Question

If a car is parked in a friends garage for years and the car was sold to a company and the title was transferred but the company cannot be found, how can I get a tow company to remove the car and what am I liable for?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the company is out of business and no longer exists, you would need to file a "petition to quiet title" on the car in the local court and serve the company through the IL Secretary of State's office since the company no longer exists and the court will remove their ownership for abandoning the car and can give you ownership of the car for you to do what you want with it. That is all you can do other than pushing it out on the street and letting the police tow it as an abandoned vehicle.