Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

If a car is parked in a friends garage for years and the car

Customer Question

If a car is parked in a friends garage for years and the car was sold to a company and the title was transferred but the company cannot be found, how can I get a tow company to remove the car and what am I liable for?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 30 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the company is out of business and no longer exists, you would need to file a "petition to quiet title" on the car in the local court and serve the company through the IL Secretary of State's office since the company no longer exists and the court will remove their ownership for abandoning the car and can give you ownership of the car for you to do what you want with it. That is all you can do other than pushing it out on the street and letting the police tow it as an abandoned vehicle.