CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My employee personally used my signature stamp to sign for a

Customer Question

My employee personally used my signature stamp to sign for a lease thru the bank. Now I find out the lease company for telephones said I personally liable. How could that be? That they did this without my license or signature?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 7 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation. Unfortunately this employee created a significant problem for you. You can sue the company for breach of contract and declaratory relief and fraud - to terminate the contract - by showing the above evidence. The strongest evidence would actually be a police report or other criminal report against your employee for embezzlement.

But the company is not required to immediately release you from the contract liability, they can force you to go to court and prove it. They are operating on implied authority or agency (often shown simply by the fact that you provided a signature stamp for your employee's use) (Most are more willing to negotiate a deal though once you have an embezzlement case against your employee - even if it is only a police report or arrest record).