How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7243
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My room mate didn't pay his rent and so I went to the office

Customer Question

my room mate didn't pay his rent and so I went to the office to see what I could do to get him off the lease the office told me to have him come in a sign a paper to take him off the lease which he agreed to do and hasn't done it and then he said he would come get his stuff out of the apartment but he hasn't yet and Im wondering what I can or cant do with his stuff that is in a room that my child could be using he hasn't been living here in over 2 months
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: I just messaged the problem im facing
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: utah
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i have a couple of emails from him and i have asked an officer but they haven't gotten back with me and the office manager said that all they could do with out evicting me was have him agree to sign the paper which in the email he said he would come sign it but never gave a time line to when he would do that and he has blamed me for him being homeless
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i think i have said everything
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. Your situation is always a tough one. You don't want to spend money to go to court to get an order evicting the person because they are already gone. The question is what to do with their stuff. My preference personally is to put it in storage in that person's name give their name address phone number information to the storage people pay the first months rent, notify the person where their stuff is and walk away. Is this legal? Yes, it's known as the doctrine of "self-help". There is no legal principle that makes one an involuntary custodian over someone else's abandoned personal property. Just to which you have to do to take care of yourself and do the best you can to keep the other person advised as to what is going on.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.