Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

My room mate didn't pay his rent and so I went to the office

Customer Question

my room mate didn't pay his rent and so I went to the office to see what I could do to get him off the lease the office told me to have him come in a sign a paper to take him off the lease which he agreed to do and hasn't done it and then he said he would come get his stuff out of the apartment but he hasn't yet and Im wondering what I can or cant do with his stuff that is in a room that my child could be using he hasn't been living here in over 2 months
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: I just messaged the problem im facing
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: utah
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i have a couple of emails from him and i have asked an officer but they haven't gotten back with me and the office manager said that all they could do with out evicting me was have him agree to sign the paper which in the email he said he would come sign it but never gave a time line to when he would do that and he has blamed me for him being homeless
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i think i have said everything
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. Your situation is always a tough one. You don't want to spend money to go to court to get an order evicting the person because they are already gone. The question is what to do with their stuff. My preference personally is to put it in storage in that person's name give their name address phone number information to the storage people pay the first months rent, notify the person where their stuff is and walk away. Is this legal? Yes, it's known as the doctrine of "self-help". There is no legal principle that makes one an involuntary custodian over someone else's abandoned personal property. Just to which you have to do to take care of yourself and do the best you can to keep the other person advised as to what is going on.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.