Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Can a landlord post lease initiate rules? For instance

Customer Question

Can a landlord post lease initiate rules? For instance telling tenants in written "House Rules" that women must not allow bra straps to be evident. or that any damage to apartments must immediately be reported and repairs paid for not from deposits held?9
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone whocan. There may be a slight delay in myresponses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

The written lease controls the tenancy. So no, a landlord can't impose new restrictions or rules on a tenant after the tenant signs a written fixed term lease. Once the lease expires, the landlord can modify the rules if they want to with a 30 day written notice though.

.

As for damages, if the tenant caused them, then it is likely the lease has some provision about not damaging the property so the landlord can make repairs and expect the tenant to pay for them. The security deposit is to pay for damages, cleaning, fees, and delinquent rent at the end of the tenancy. But a landlord has a right to repair the property during the tenancy and charge the tenant the cost.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The only part not addressed is. Are there any limitations to the rules they may impose?

If you are asking about limitations and restrictions in the written lease, they are only limited by the law...meaning they can't have anything in the lease that conflicts with state law. Otherwise they can pretty much put in whatever they want and it is up to the tenant whether or not to agree to those terms or not..

.

.

thanks