Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My daughters husband has just bought a business in Florida

Customer Question

my daughters husband has just bought a business in Florida with an E2 visa status and wanted to take out an agreement on a truck which I said I would help him with as he has got no credit history in the US
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: He signed paperwork with Chevy on a truck was given registration docs got truck insured and drove away had the truck for less than one day and the chevy dealer has called him asking him to bring the truck back as they have full out the wrong paperwork and can not do the deal which they put forward they now want to charge him another $100.00 per month over 6 years which is over $7,000 more can they do this when they have already signed paperwork and given him the truck
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing has happened other than they want the truck back and a new agreement surely when they have taken his $2,000.00 deposit and given him the truck which he got insured they cannot just ask for the truck back and try to change the whole deal?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is called yo-yo financing and you need to call the dealer and inform them if they do not honor the agreement, you are going to contact the state attorney general and the state DMV dealer licensing unit for this unfair and deceptive business practice. If they refuse to reconsider, when you tell them you know this is yo-yo financing and it is an unfair and deceptive practice, you need to send them a letter following up putting in writing that they are committing an unfair and deceptive practice and then you need to call the attorney general and DMV and file your complaints. If they cannot resolve this, you can sue the dealer to force them to honor the original contract.