LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

I gave someone $500 to hold a car for me to look at, but

Customer Question

I gave someone $500 to hold a car for me to look at, but never agreed to buy it. Is my $500 refundable from the private party?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No paper work signed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. Yes, it should be. The $500 was consideration to hold the car and allow you to see it and not sell it to anyone else. If you ended up buying the car, it should have been applied but if you decided to not buy it, they could not just keep it, unless it was agreed upon ahead of time. There is a difference between asking for a deposit, if you wanted to buy it and simply putting up money in good faith, for them to hold it, to show that you are serious but need time to look a it, to see it was as represented.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.