Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I didnt show for a corporate interagottories in one city and

Customer Question

I didnt show for a corporate interagottories in one city and im now to turn myself into the jail. I cant find a court case and the warrant papers say to keep me safe until the 28th of sept. Does that mean im going to jail til then?it was ordered by that citys commissioner not judge
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, failure to show up for a subpoena is considered contempt of court. The court may hold you until a hearing date on a contempt of court citation. So, if the city commissioner, who in VA has the power to issue these warrants, ordered you held in contempt, all you can do to avoid jail is have an attorney appear with you and argue for good cause for you not appearing and asking the commissioner to grant you an extension of time to appear for the corporate interrogatories.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
virginia beach police are the ones serving me and telling me to report to the jail to turn myself in, the county commissioner is in chesterfield about 2.5 hours away, will va beach keep me in the jail until the court date there or will they allow me to make bond or ?
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I am afraid that they have to hold you until Chesterfield releases you or orders bond.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay last question, will they allow me to see a magistrate and ask for a bond or im just immediately locked up until the court date
Thank you for your reply.
Only the commissioner who issued the warrant can issue the bond, so that is why I said I would get an attorney, because at the very least the attorney can go to the commissioner in Chesterfield to get a bond set so you do not have to wait until Chesterfield comes and picks you up and brings you to Chesterfield to appear before the commissioner.