How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 115462
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband decided to file for divorse. we have been married

Customer Question

My husband decided to file for divorse. we have been married since 2011. We have two Children together 3 years old and 14 month old. I also have a 16 years old child. Recently I have opened an 529 account for my son and transfered money from my personal checking acc. to 529 acc. I also made a monetary gift to my son and put this money to his checking acc. Since we live in Houston TX will these money be considered a community property?
Thank you.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Before you gave the money to your children, it was community property. Once you gift the money to your children, the money belongs to your children. It must stay in those accounts for the children under the uniform gift/trust to minors act. So whoever is named the guardian over the property of the children in the divorce would be trustee/guardian over those accounts and the funds can be used only for the specific needs of the children and not just for ordinary needs. The money in the account would be the children's money and no longer community property.