RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Can you be arrested for touching someone else properly

Customer Question

Can you be arrested for touching someone else properly without permission not steeling it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

It depends on what you mean by touching it. For example, if you're in someone's house, and merely touch an expensive painting they have on the wall? No, that's not a criminal act. Theft requires some form of intent to deprive a person of their property without their consent. However, if you were to remove the painting from the wall, walk out the door with it, then change your mind, walk back into the house and put the picture back on the wall, you could be charged with theft. It doesn't matter that you put it back right away, because you took it with the intent to steal it and that would be enough to satisfy the element of theft in most states.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. 5 star service is my goal, so if I have provided less than that, please tell me how I may help!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 30 days ago.

Was there additional information you needed or can I clarify something about my answer? If so, please let me know, as I'm happy to continue assisting you! If there is nothing further, I would kindly ask that you leave me a positive rating by clicking on the stars, so that I am credited for my time and assistance. You can always reply to this message after leaving a positive rating at no additional charge.