LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

We are building a home, sighed a contract of some sort, not

Customer Question

hello, We are building a home, sighed a contract of some sort, not sure how legal or binding it is we are not satisfied with the quality of work or the rate that it is being taken care of. There was no written date of completion, just verbal of Thanksgiving, now he say's the first of the year. I have heard that you can fire your contractor is that right.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Idaho
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm not sure what your asking
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess I'll wait and see if they have any more questions for me.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. Yes, it is possible you can fire your contractor and break the contract. However, there needs to be a legal basis for it and to support it. If the contractor is failing to perform under the contract/ agreement, then they would be in breach. If there is an issue, concern or breach, then you, as the other party, need to advise the builder,in writing and give them a chance to cure the problems. If they are unable to do so or fail to do so, then you can break the contract and find another party to finish the home and sue them for damages. You shared that you signed some "sort of" contract so you do need to look over and review exactly what was signed and just how binding it is. A valid contract would have a date of completion and terms and conditions which lay out the details of the job.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where he made the contract up, and failed to put a completion date on it how would that work? And yes my husband and I have interred in to business deals before, and yes buyer beware applies here, were about 70% done but have been fighting this deal all summer, I'm finally to a I'm done point and think the best way to complete the job would be with someone else, could I be causing us more headaches?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are we done talking?
I am here. Are you still with me?