Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If a police man is wearing a body camera who can have access

Customer Question

JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: If a police man is wearing a body camera who can have access to view the video. I live here in New Jerey
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I had a traffic accident. the only car was mine. There is a question as to wht gear my vehicle was in. I say one thing and they came back to me saying something else. I asked to see video and he police said no. Where do I stand?
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Someone in your situation can TRY to request it formally. Under New Jersey's open records law (see HERE), a request in WRITING may be made for any record held by a government agency, although there is a number of exceptions.

"Government record" or "record" means any paper, written or printed book, document, drawing, map, plan, photograph, microfilm, data processed or image processed document, information stored or maintained electronically or by sound-recording or in a similar device, or any copy thereof, that has been made, maintained or kept on file in the course of his or its official business by any officer, commission, agency or authority of the State or of any political subdivision thereof, including subordinate boards thereof, or that has been received in the course of his or its official business by any such officer, commission, agency, or authority of the State or of any political subdivision thereof, including subordinate boards thereof. The terms shall not include inter-agency or intra-agency advisory, consultative, or deliberative material.

You can see a sample record request letter HERE.

However, if the matter is under investigation, then the police can deny access to ongoing criminal investigation's material. If you feel the denial is improper, you can appeal the decision to the Court via a Writ of Mandamus and the Judge will decide.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.