Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I was diagnosed as having tardive dyskinesia in 2012. It

Customer Question

I was diagnosed as having tardive dyskinesia in 2012. It affects my ability to communicate verbally in an effective manner. I am currently a defendant who needs to testify before a jury. I can best do this by the accommodation of permitting me to answer questions posed by attorney's and judge in a written format, such as a computer. The jury then can judge me on the testimony provided instead of distorted perceptions caused by mouth movements, dysfluency, and difficulty speaking in a halted manner which can be misunderstood as evading, being hesitant or having anxiety. Testimony provided without accommodation may have a negative impact on the jury.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What exactly are you asking, i.e. what can I answer for you in regards ***** ***** matter? For example, how to go about seeking to ask the Court permission for this ahead of time, or, what rules apply to parties with special needs, etc?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.