CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

Can s corporation practice medicine in pa crossover to nj

Customer Question

Can s corporation practice medicine in pa crossover to nj with same federal tax I'd number and state different I'd number
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

The Corporate Practice of Medicine is very complex, and you will definitely want to get a formal legal opinion (from a local attorney that can provide you with a full review and consultation) before you initiate this business - you will not want to rely on our "general information" forum alone.

However, the "general information" is that both PA and NJ follow the "CPOM Doctrine" which prohibits the corporate practice of medicine, meaning non-physicians cannot operate medical practices (exceptions are made for some institutions such as hospitals and managed care).

However, if a properly organized entity was conducting business in both states, it could theoretically do so with a single Tax ID, but again, you would run into yet more complexity with state reimbursement requirements (most healthcare providers that cross state lines end up having separate entities to cover separate states for this reason - each state is served by its own entity organized in that state).

For a good (very brief) summary of the CPOM doctrine, see: