Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I want to know how to stop an individual or freeze some

Customer Question

I want to know how to stop an individual or freeze some money that this individual is collecting as donation for my brother's memorial services and expenses when the life insurance paid for the services. The individual that the money is going to is not a blood related and she is doing it for her brother that my brother was not married to him. She got a gofundme account. She is using my brother death to collected donations online for their own benefit. My brother died on September 11, 2016. I believe this is fraudelent.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Texas, he lived in Austin. They were not married. This individual sister is not blood related at all.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No but on that gofundme account website has a place to report it, but if I do that will the gofundme website let them know who is doing the reporting or does it stay anomynous.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can I report this to the Consumer Protection Agency.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 2 months ago.

First, please accept my condolences for your loss. I am sorry someone is trying to be opportunistic. Yes, you should notify the Texas Attorney General's office, consumer division.