Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I am trying to file income taxes for 2015. My husband died

Customer Question

I am trying to file income taxes for 2015. My husband died January 2016, and many of our records have been lost or misplaced. I need to file a joint return for that year. I need to know how much Social Security we received in 2015. Mark ****** ************** Lois ****** *************** I pray you can help me. Lois ******

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

In January of 2016 you should have received a Social Security Benefit Statement (Form SSA-1099) showing the amount of benefits you received in the previous year. You can use that Benefit Statement when you complete your federal 2016 income tax return.

If you misplaced that form or didn’t receive it, then you can now can get an instant replacement form by using your online my Social Security account. If you don’t already have an account, you can create one online. To get your replacement form SSA-1099 go to Sign In or Create an Account.

Once you are logged in to your account, select the "Replacement Documents" tab to request the form.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.