Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

How do I ask for travel permission from the judge? Texas, I

Customer Question

How do I ask for travel permission from the judge?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I see my probation officer on 10/12/16
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: travel is from 10/8 - 10/10
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am going to assume that your PO told you to ask the Court for permission.

The permission is requested via a formal motion the Court. It can be called a Motion to Modify Probation, or more aptly, a Motion Requesting Permission for Travel.

The motion may be filed with the court, and both the prosecutor and the PO have to get a copy as well, and, notice of the date/time for the hearing.

At the hearing, the Defendant explains their situation and the Court will allow the prosecutor and the PO to weigh in. Then, the Judge makes a decision. An attorney is highly recommended to do this for you.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.