LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

I was stopped for a seat belt violation in ga last monday by

Customer Question

i was stopped for a seat belt violation in ga last monday by the gsp. i provided two doctor letters that state i can not wear a seat belt, which is legal in ga. i was issued a ticket because i would disclose my medical issue. is this legal ?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: ticket was issued
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i nwould like to know if law enforcement can require me to give medical information
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. Did you have a written letter from your doctor regarding this, in your possession?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
two of them

Thank you. You certainly have a defense to raise and should take this to court and fight it, if you had the notes from your doctor in your possession, which evidenced a medical condition that would not require you to wear a sea belt. Exemptions [O.C.G.A. § 40-8-76.1(C)] to the general seat belt requirement include:

• Delivery vehicles that do not exceed 15 miles an hour between stops
  • People with a written doctor’s note stating that they are unable to wear a seat belt for medical reasons
  • Vehicles made before 1965
  • Vehicles exempt under federal law
  • Rural letter carriers for the US Postal Service
  • Newspaper deliverers
  • Emergency vehicles

The officer is not allowed to ask for specifics, since it could violate your medical privacy and is irrelevant. The note from the doctor should suffice.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!