Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I would like to find out if this person committed criminal

Customer Question

I would like to find out if this person committed criminal offence and can be taken to court. My daughter was bitten by a dog and drove to her dad's home to get help. She was tuned away and denied help from her dad's wife. It was obvious that she was inebriated and yet her pleases for help were rejected. Driving and looking for a hospital she had an accident which required hospitalization and surgery. She was charged with DUI. Her dad forbid my daughter to tell what happened leading to the accident. Please let me know if any charges can be brought in this case. Thank you. Anita
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This happened in NY.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, she was charged with DUI.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is all for now. TKS
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

Your daughter may have a defense to her charge based on what happened if she had no other recourse but to drive herself to the hospital. Depending on the facts and circumstances, she may also have a civil action against her dad's wife. But I don't see how anyone other than your daughter has any criminal responsibility under the facts you mention. What part of this do you think makes out a crime? How old is your daughter?