Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

How can I best protect an mobile app idea

Customer Question

how can I best protect an mobile app idea
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, you cannot protect just an idea, you have to actually develop the app and then you can copyright the code and even trademark the name. People have ideas all the time, but until they are actually developed the only way to protect them is to not disclose them to anyone and if you have to engage someone to develop the app for you, then you have to have a non disclosure/non use agreement in writing with them which states they cannot disclose any information about the app or use the information or give it to anyone else to develop.
Other than a NDA or not telling anyone about it, until you develop it and copyright the code or trademark the name, there is no other way to protect it.