Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

What can a landlord when a tenant makes a video on their

Customer Question

What can a landlord when a tenant makes a video on their property shooting marijuana and alcohol scenes, also they wind up shooting episodes on their roof without permission?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: PA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, they uploaded it on YouTube
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I need to deal with that because we do want to go back to our property next month
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me, does the lease specifically state anything about prohibition of illegal substances? And, did any other tenant complain to you?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The property was to be used as a dwelling unit, not a shoot for videos. No it doesn't include prohibition of illegal substances. No other tenant complained, but we did when the video was shown to us.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.
The formal reasons for eviction in PA include:
-not paying rent,
-material breach of lease, or
-overstay of the lease.
Nothing specifies that a landlord can evict if the tenant misuses the property, or, does something illegal. However, Judges do evict if the tenant damages property or does something illegal (or dangerous) on the property at discretion, as it may be argued that there is an implied agreement not to do these things.
As such, I am afraid that it is at the Court's discretion on a case by case basis unless the eviction is for one of the standard three reasons listed above. Someone in your situation CAN evict (or rather file for eviction) and hope that the Judge agrees.
First, a notice to move is required: 15 days if lease for less than one year or periodic, and 30 days if lease for one year or more. See 68 Penn. Rev. Statutes Sec. 250.501.
If they do not move after the notice time runs out, then the eviction is filed and the Court decides.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.