Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

My daughter is a third year veterinary student. She is

Customer Question

My daughter is a third year veterinary student. She is classified as disabled because she has Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, and she has generally had reasonable accommodations. She has a service dog, Alex, who has accompanied her nearly everywhere for the past 2 years in order to help prevent anxiety and fainting. This year, the university has revised its guidelines. My daughter has been told that the dog must be within her line of vision and cannot sit closer to another person than he is to her. He may not sniff anything or respond to people. This is a challenge on a college campus where people love dogs and some enjoy trying to make Alex howl. Any violation of these rules will result in my daughter's receiving a conduct violation which could result in serious consequences such as banning the dog from campus or even expulsion. Do you have any insights about how universities are allowed to interpret ADA rules on service animals?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon Irene,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your daughter's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge of just $5 more I can offer you a personal phone conference during which there is no limitation on the number of questions you can ask of me, as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Has your daughter had this same service animal with her at the university since she first enrolled?

2. Has she been counseled previously by a staff member of the university about the howling issue, or about her dog "pestering" other students or staff?

3. Does her dog generally walk off leash anywhere on the university campus? I'm wondering why the dog would ever be out of her sight.

4. Does she know who complained about the situation to the university?

Thanks in advance,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.