Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I was cited in 1998 for having an "unregistered animal" and

Customer Question

Hi, I was cited in 1998 for having an "unregistered animal" and "Animal at Large". I was picked up and brought to the city PD about 12 months later and told them I didn't have the money, that I would choose to sit out the fine. The city PD said they don't have facilities to allow me to sit out my fine and that since it was a city ticket I could not be transferred to county jail to sit out my fine and was released. Now I'm receiving letters from an attorney under Article(###) ###-####to collect on the fines. The attorney is stating that either I pay or a warrant will be issued for my arrest. Is there a statute of limitation on this?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

No, unfortunately not. The statute of limitations only applies to the time between the crime and the charges being filed (or the citation written). It doesn't apply to the city collecting on the fine. This is the same way the statute of applications applies to any "crime" or civil action.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.