Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I hired an indipendant tradesman to install pavers in my

Customer Question

I hired an indipendant tradesman to install pavers in my courtyard at home. His wife who I knew casualy told me about him and showed me picture samples of his work. He and I met and agreed he would do the job. He gave me a written quote.He told me if I gave him cash for the purchase of the materials (pavers), he could save me 5%. On May 31 I brought the cash of $2500 to him texting back and forth to set up a place to meet. Lots of delays and excuses.... I became concerned that that cash was NOT used to purchase the materials and emailed him on 9/20/16. I told him I was no longer interested in continuing out agreement and wanted my "cash" back or I would pursue legal action to recover the funds. With this amount...small claims seems my only logical path. I believe he will be unable to pay the judgment amount. He rents his home, but owns 2 vehicles. Can I place a lien on those type of assets? Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer me.
Chris *****
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me if the person you hired is a licensed contractor in the State of Florida?

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

You referred to him as an "independent tradesman", however, I don't want to make any assumptions on licensing.