John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.

I work as a 10-99 employee and I work for a company as

Customer Question

I work as a 10-99 employee and I work for a company as basically a sales rep who produces leads and contracts customers to buy a roof through their insurance. I am wondering if it is legal for the company to hire out a roofing crew who messes up and then put the cost of that mess up on me.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

There is no law that prohibits companies from placing the costs of project errors etc. on to the contractor, because the contractor is not an employee and not protected by wage laws. However, the parties are bound to the contract between them, and unless that contract allows for hold-backs/set offs, it would be a breach of that contract for the employer to make those hold-backs/set-offs. You'd have to sue for breach of contract.