Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I am a cosignor on a student loan for my Grandson. He

Customer Question

I am a cosignor on a student loan for my Grandson. He initially kept up with his payments but has over the last few years been eratic. I found out that the lender and my grandson modified the loan agreement about a year ago and i was not a participant in that agreement. Am I still legally bound since I was not given the opportunity to review and agree to the modification?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
When he modified the agreement did they give him a new written agreement? If so, did you sign it or did he forge your signature on it? Or does the agreement say it only modifies terms and the original agreement remains in place? I am asking because that is what will determine whether or not you remain liable as co-signer.