LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

Sure. I failed to show for a small claims case and have been

Customer Question

Sure. I failed to show for a small claims case and have been issued a doc about being in contempt. Can I still appeal the judgement
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I received a notice that says the judgement was awarded to the plaintiffs
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Can you share with me why you failed to appear?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had a meeting at work that came up last minute.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The purpose of the claim against me was from an animal hospital and I feel and have spoken with other vets about the care my pet received that it was not adequate and they are requesting me to pay for overnight care when the pet passed away before the night was over
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also the care that was provided was lacking.

Thank you. If you failed to show/appear and a judgment was awarded, a motion to vacate the judgment can be filed with the court. In the body of the motion, you need to show good cause and explain to the Judge 1) why you failed to appear and 2) that the case should be decided on the merits, since you do have a right to contest this and defenses to raise, to show that the amount which they seek is not proper. Of course, if you fight this, you would need to bring in an expert, to testify on your behalf to the same and to show that what they want you to pay and the services they performed was not necessary.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 28 days ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!