Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

Engagement to marry used to be leagally binding but can you

Customer Question

Engagement to marry used to be leagally binding but can you still have a kegal contract drawn out for an engagement
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Thank you for your patience as I type your answer.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Yes, while an engagement ring is generally considered a "conditional gift" which vests in favor of the bride upon the marriage, the parties are certainly free to agree otherwise as part of a written contract.

In other words, unless OTHERWISE agreed in writing, most jurisdictions hold that the groom is entitled to the return of the ring (assuming he bought it) if the engagement is broken.

If you have further questions, please feel free to follow-up.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Posted in error

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.