Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My husband got caught with drugs during a traffic stop. The

Customer Question

My husband got caught with drugs during a traffic stop. The police later came to our house and seized 3 vehicles. One is registered to his son and the other is registered to a friend. Is this legal and can we get those vehicles back
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under asset forfeiture rules, the police can seize any vehicles or property they have reason to believe were obtained with funds from illegal activities. In order to recover the vehicles, you need an attorney to represent your son and friend and they need to file a motion in court objecting to the seizure and asking for the return of the vehicles and will have to present proof to the court that his son and friend own the cars and purchased the cars. Upon proof that the cars were purchased by the son and friend and not with funds from illegal activities the court will order the cars released.