Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I have a piece of land in Jamaica which was handed down to

Customer Question

Hi I have a piece of land in Jamaica which was handed down to me and my siblings from my father. This land was originally owned by my grandmother. We have been paying the tax on the land by send the money to my aunt. Recently she agve my uncle the papers to go and pay it for her. Over the years we don't know what has happened but the name on the papers were changed out of my grans name. I was in Jamaica last week only to find that my uncle has leased the land for 3 years to someone for 3 years without mine or my siblings knowledge. I am happy to let the person remain on the land but I need a proper lease agreement drawn up, how can i get this done
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Its in Westmoreland a district called Good Hope
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I paid the taxes up while i was there. My uncle has the only piece of paper with my grans name on it but is refusing to give it up. I have spoke to the tax off who has said he cannot do that but they were looking into what has happened with the name change on the document
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need to know where i can go from here as my uncle has received money from the person building on the land.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Was probate ever done on the land, that is the important thing you need to know first? Second, if no probate was done, then you need to get the records from the tax and land office which you have started already.