Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Y, I owe my doctor money for services. the bill is large.

Customer Question

y
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I owe my doctor money for services. the bill is large. can my doctor add a monthly service charge to my unpaid balance?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: his services are undisputed. insurance has been billed and paid. the balance is the patients who won't pay
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

1) Unless your contract with the physician specifically allows it, the office should not be adding on unpaid fees or interest unto the balance owed;

2) However if they file suit and get a judgment, they can request legal fees and a statutory interest rate (defined by state).

3) A threat to report them to the ethics board of the state medical board should often do the trick to have them agree to drop any charges that should not be on the bill.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.