Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

Someone in my country club says I cheated in cards and is

Customer Question

Someone in my country club says I cheated in cards and is telling everyone not to play with me. It is not true and it is serverly hurting my reputation. I am devastated.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Fl.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nu
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She is also spreading false rumors about things I did not say about other people.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Thank you for your patience as I type your answer.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

You can sue them for defamation. Actually, you would start with a cease and desist letter to anyone making these false accusations.

If this does not get a retraction, you will need to file suit for defamation. This cause of action is specifically for damage caused to one's reputation. To establish a prima facie case of defamation, four elements are generally required:

1. a false statement purporting to be fact concerning another person or entity;

2. publication or communication of that statement to a third person;

3. fault on the part of the person making the statement amounting to intent or at least negligence; and,

4. some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.

This involves complex litigation and it is strongly advised that you retain local counsel to assist you in protecting your rights before taking any action in this matter.

If you need assistance in finding an attorney, contact your state or local bar association. You can also try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

It is a huge worldwide database of attorneys searchable by location and specialty.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?