How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 101607
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In a civil suit I need an extension of time to answer. .I

Customer Question

In a civil suit I need an extension of time to answer. .I got one for 30 days I need another 30 days
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes I filed for 30 days and got till today
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am closing loan out and can pay in 30 days. .just don't want a judgement
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. To get an extension to file an answer, one files a Motion for Leave. This asks the Court to "take leave" of the rules of procedure for good cause, i.e. in this case, to provide more time to file an answer. The motion has to be drafted, filed, served unto the other party, and set for a hearing.

NOTE that depending on the court and the notice requirements to the other party, the setting to have the motion heard may fall PAST the deadline for the answer. If so, one may wish to file something as an answer, and then to amend it later.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.