Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I am a personal trainer in Mass. I just received a

Customer Question

Hi! I am a personal trainer in Mass. I just received a certification in a IASM modality, called Faktar. This type of treatment involves manual release of the muscle using a tool, that i received training and a certification on. I am not a massage therapist. Can i practice this modality?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: MA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: nope, just received the certification today
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I am not a massage therapist, OC or PT. I am a personal trainer with a certification diploma and a certification in the technique
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under MA law, because it involves manual manipulation of the muscle, you would need to obtain certification/license as a massage therapist in MA, because you are performing the systematic treatment of the soft tissues of the body by use of pressure, friction, stroking, percussion, kneading, vibration by manual or mechanical means, range of motion for purposes of demonstrating muscle excursion or muscle flexibility and nonspecific stretching.