Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer
Experience:  Law Clerk for 7 years

How do I start with getting my record expunged, California,

Customer Question

How do I start with getting my record expunged
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California, but if I move states will it need to be expunged in that state as well
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Well yes I was convicted with a 5150 but I never went to court
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: And I have a misdemeanor and 2 duis, but one has been 10 years and the other 6. I haven't had anything for 6 years
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. I'm Stacy. Give me a few moments to review your issue and do research. I'll return shortly.

To get started for an expungement, I'd suggest you review this page. Be sure to hit "expand all" midway down the page with the questions and answers section. Essentially, you'll need to get all of the information relating to your convictions. This includes case numbers, knowing whether you were convicted by plea or by jury/judge verdict, whether you completed everything required (paid fines, took classes, etc.). The link I provided has a section about your options. You'll need to see which one applies to each of your convictions and fill out the appropriate forms. If you review this information, you should have access to all of the information and forms needed to proceed with this process on your own.

As to moving, the petition has to be filed in the county where the charges/cases occurred. So while you could live in another state, all of the paperwork needs to be filed in the California court system where you received the convictions/charges. Once you receive an order to expunge your record, the Court will send notice to all agencies and order them to destroy the records. So if you have a background check done in another state, it shouldn't show up.

I hope this answers your question. If you've found my information helpful, please kindly leave a positive rating and accept my answer. This is the only way Just Answer compensates experts for their time. You can still ask follow up questions after providing a rating. Thank you and good luck!